It’s Thursday and you know what that means! Absolutely nothing. Thursday is better than Wednesday but still way worse because it’s not Friday. What the hell am I talking about, I have no effin’ clue. Hey, at least I didn’t mention the weather like Rob has in his last 14 morning posts.
On that note, I want to let you all in on a little house keeping we have going on around the Tailgate. Stuff has wound down to a nice crawl around UK land for the moment and by god we are glad. Its the perfect speed because we are exhausted, over-worked and under-paid (understatement of the year). We have literally done this TGR thang for two years straight without earning a penny. We do it for fun because we love all that is UK. We do it for you because quite frankly you need another option and we appeal to many different demographics.
The problem is that we have gotten away from our roots.
So, with that, after things wind down with the NBA Draft next week we are going to scale it back until football. That doesn’t mean we are completely going away until then, it just means you may check the site and wonder why we haven’t posted the random crap we do. Now you will know.
We need some time to refresh and get our swagger back is all. Don’t worry, we will still be here. We aren’t gonna do you all like that. It’s just good timing. We will pick things back up in full swing just in time for………………. you guessed it…………….TAILGATING! Has a nice ring to it doesn’t it.
We originally created TGR to be a sounding board for the tailgating stories and it turned into much more than we could even fathom. We never thought it would get as big as it is to be criticized by John Clay, shared by Larry Vaught and even have guest appearances on the Leach Report. In our eyes that is all ridiculous. We don’t want to be the next UK blog. We don’t want to be compared to other sites because we aren’t other sites. Our bread is buttered at the Tailgate and that is where you will be able to find us, straight down from the C on the Commonwealth sign, in the Red Lot, right next to the tree line.
Now time for the notes from yesterday:
- Obviously the big news of the day has to be the response from Coach Cal at a fund raiser on the whole 500 wins saga. Cal essentially reiterated the “player’s first program” in his statement: “Let’s just say my record is 0-0. I’m fine with that. This is about those kids, and that’s what I’ve always been about…. I’m not even paying attention to it, because it really doesn’t have anything to do with me… Obviously they can kind of do what they want to do.” Take that NCAA! Quit trying to belittle a guy that only cares about making his kids better!
- Some other un-important stink of the afternoon was from the piece Jeff Goodman wrote on his top coaches for age groups. He put Calipari behind Pitino, Roy Williams, and Tom Izzo. At first I read this thing as if he was basing the order on all-things now. Nope, it was based on accomplishments in their careers thus far. Boring and easy at the same time. I apologize for even posting that garbage.
- ESPN’s SEC correspondents Chris Low and Edward Aschoff continued their hot streak of ranking Kentucky football positions close to the bottom of the barrel when they had the Cats running backs at #12. Proposterous is a good word to describe that. Yeah, I am being critical of people that write for ESPN. The problem is that they have the same stigma about the Cats that everyone else in the league does. Until the season starts. Yes. The departure of Derrick Locke, the transfer of Donald Russell, and the early NFL debut of Randall Cobb all hurt the running game. But I think Coshik Williams and Raymond Sanders will have something to say about that.
- Congrats to former Cat Rodrick Rhodes as he finally landed that head coaching job he’s be in search for all Spring. Rod will coach at Cordia School in Knott County.
- If you are in the Lexington area today around 5:30 and you have your Wildcat gear on you should head on over to Commonwealth Stadium. The 2011 football promo video will be shot for the year and this time UK has asked for fan participation. Should be interesting, when they leave it that open ended you never know what your gonna get!
- In some repetitive draft-cat news Brandon Knight will be working out for the Utah Jazz today. The 23rd can not get here soon enough.
- Dick Vitale is starting to get the credit he deserves in the world of hoops. The Detriot Titans, where Vitale coached to a 78-30 record from 1973-1977 will dedicate the floor in conjunction with a nationally-televised event against Big EAST foe St. John’s on December 5, 2011 on ESPN2, Vitale’s 32nd anniversary of calling games.
Rob will be by later to give you his side of the story. Keep it locked.